Monday, January 4, 2010

Pet Names.

As I sat in the vet's office the other day, I heard the doctor call out appointments for various patients: Sprinkles, Darla, and Killer. Killer was a chihuahua no larger than a tampon with legs. I almost stepped on him upon entering the clinic.

But I loved the witty irony. I come from a family that has fun with pet names. My sister's last name is Knapp, so they named their dog Taka. Take a nap. Anyway, it got me thinking of other names that would be a fun twist on identifying my pet.

I came up with "Grandma". I think it would be so much fun to be screaming at my dog at the park, "Grandma! Get the frisbee!" Or sitting at the dinner table with guests and telling my husband that Grandma pooped in living room again.

Or when she ran away, we could be yelling down the street and asking people if they saw Grandma sprinting through their yards. "Goddammit", I'd say in an exasperated tone. "Grandma is always trying to escape. She runs like the fucking wind."

When the Invisible Fence trainer arrived with a collar my husband could say, "Honey, go get Grandma. We need to make sure this collar fits nice and snug."

Dogs don't care what their name is as long as they're loved and fed. Why not have some fun with it?

My new motto is this: "Life is funny. Enjoy the ride while finding the deeper lessons offered in it." Yes, we can be serious and passionate about our life purpose, but shouldn't we laugh along the way?

And having a dog named Grandma would make me laugh every single day. That might be worth another dog purchase, although I don't know if our bulldog named Rocket would agree. He would probably try to kick Grandma's ass for stealing all our attention.

2 comments:

  1. Hi ,

    Saw your post on January 4th on "Pet Names." We are starting an online electric dog fence company and were hoping we could buy a link from that post. We are happy to pay upfront. Let me know if you are interested.

    Hope you are having a Happy New Year!!!

    Thanks,
    Misty
    www.dogfencediy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Misty! I could even create a gadget (with link) for you, if you like.

    Can I reach you at the 1-800 on your website?

    ReplyDelete